jueves, 4 de abril de 2013

My Home Away From Home


My ASAIF badge
Recently I came back from one of the best trips of my life, I went to Rome. Rome, Italy. Italy – the country of wine, pasta, and just handsome men walking around the city but let’s be honest, I didn’t drink wine, the pasta I ate was horrible, and I didn’t see handsome men (only a few – ah Italianos!), but that’s not what this whole thing is about. I flew there for the ASAIF Rome Forum. ASAIF – Azerbaijani Students and Alumni International Forum, is pretty much a forum or a conference held yearly for Azerbaijani students living or studying abroad. The conference consists of different panels talking about different topics such as the Khojaly Genocide and how active our youth should be, or the Karabakh situation happening at the moment, which I should clarify is Azerbaijani land.

As an Azerbaijani youth, I got accepted to go and attend. So, I went emergency warm clothes shopping, since I live in Puerto Rico and the weather here really doesn't need coats, boots, and scarves, I was in need of major shopping time. I got my bag ready and off I went. I flew a long flight having to transit at two different places but I got there. I got there getting notified that Rome already wants to bankrupt me. Let me add that Rome is really expensive,  having to pay 80 euros (divided into two) to get to my hotel.

Ah, the hotel. A smile rises on my face as I remember my first views and thoughts when I got off the taxi. I see Azerbaijani men standing outside, all in black and smoking a cigarette. I thought to myself “I’m home.” I had this feeling of familiarity and love even though I've never seen or talked to the people I saw in front of me. I enter the hotel and hear familiar words, warm yet so distant – the Azerbaijani language and the Russian language, and every phrase ending with “da” having it extended, ah the Baku accent – how I missed you. I knew I was in the right hotel, and I turn to a friend of mine who came with me and I tell her “Jeyla, we’re in Baku, the second version!” – we share a giggle and go to the registration desk.

This whole trip was a pleasure, not because I went there to talk about politics and get into serious discussions, no, but I went there to feel like home since I haven’t been in Azerbaijan for two years, and I haven’t lived there for about 10 years, and living in Puerto Rico where there are no other Azerbaijanis other than my family, doesn't really make anything easier. I missed the language, the looks, the talks, the accent, the culture. I missed home.

Every girl needs to throw a coin into
the Trevi Fountain and make
a wish
I remember how on one of the panels, I had the opportunity to stand up in front of hundreds and ask a question. Before the question was supposed to be spoken, we had to introduce ourselves, so I get the microphone and say “I’m Leyla Javadova, I study and live in Puerto Rico” and suddenly I feel heads suddenly turn around and stare at me. I was an extinct animal. The animal from Puerto Rico. How did an Azerbaijani get there? I felt special, really special. I had so many people come up to me after that, I really wanted to get a notepad and say “Want an autograph?” but I didn’t, I’m too nice and shy – pfft, as if.

I started to socialize, realizing that there are so many Azerbaijanis living all around the world from Netherlands, France, Canada, Switzerland to China, Korea, Moldavia, Poland (and Puerto Rico). I mean, there are tons and we’re spread out! Socializing meant either standing around and making small talk or sitting in a circle playing Mafia or other games, sharing a laugh and just having a blast. These games were played until the early morning until one of us realized what time it was and we had a few more hours before we had to get ready for the conference. 

The people that I follow or followed me on Twitter or have me on Facebook finally stood in front of me, smiling. Friends. I made Azerbaijani friends, who as soon as the trip ended, all added me on Facebook, asked how I got home, asked for my number, called me – I mean, I felt a nice connection. Wouldn't it be nice if we all went somewhere - together? We all want that “home” feeling back. The feeling which was missing for such a long time. That feeling of knowing where you’re from and understanding each other with no difficulty.

I can call them friends, but I can also call them my brothers and sisters, all beautiful inside and out.

Hope to see you soon, family! 

This is our “Once Upon A Time” story.

xo, Leyla
Our first trip to the city. Rome, Italy

2 comentarios: